Below we, as the company geobra Brandstätter Stiftung & Co. KG and manufacturer of PLAYMOBIL, have defined our guidelines with regard to the modification of PLAYMOBIL figures and PLAYMOBIL accessories to fulfil our responsible commitment to Mr. Hans Beck’s heritage (copyright, trademark and design rights) as well as to the safety of children (product liability).
We will proceed against any modification we are aware of – provided that it is publicized and of relevance:
- Any discriminating contents
- Contents used for political statements
- Contents not suited for kids
- Extremist contents of any kind
- Aggressive contents resp. contents dealing with war and violence
- Contents and forms harming kids
Geobra will dismiss/refuse any material demands made by people who have modified PLAYMOBIL figures.
With regard to the modification of figures and accessories, in the following referred to as customizing, we differentiate between usage for private and for public purposes.
Customizing for private purposes is seen very tolerant especially taking into consideration the activities of our highly esteemed PLAYMOBIL fans – mostly adults with considerable collections - provided that our economic interests remain unaffected (e.g. customized PLAYMOBIL-figures must not be sold).
When it comes to customizing for public purposes, we differentiate between adult and child target audiences.
- We accept the use of modified PLAYMOBIL figures to impart certain contents towards adults. This includes TV late night formats such as late-night shows or satirical news shows. With regard to the late broadcasting time we can assume that these activities address towards adults and not kids.
- When customizing PLAYMOBIL figures and accessories with the purpose to show or make them available to children, we have to ensure the safety of children in general and secondly to fulfil our product liability. Within an economically reasonable budget geobra Brandstätter is obliged to observe the market with respect to our products. As manufacturer of toys we comply with this requirement very carefully. In case we find that certain modified and manipulated PLAYMOBIL figures and parts might imply danger for children, we are legally obliged to stop those modifications also to disclaim liability for any subsequent damage occurring.
From today’s perspective the following modifications to PLAYMOBIL figures could put children at risk:
- Bending by heating with electrical devices or unshielded flame
- Decoration with pointed parts, for example such as sharp metal wires
- Manipulation of figures with hammer and nails
- Painting of figures with paint and varnish not suitable for toys
Regarding unauthorized 3D prints or 3D printing templates of PLAYMOBIL figures or parts made available to the public, the following legal regulations apply:
It is illegal to download, print or use copyright-protected 3D templates from the internet (e.g. from file-sharing sites) as well as to upload them to personal or third-party websites, thus making them accessible to the public.
Neither 3D print products nor 3D templates may be used for any commercial purpose (such as making them available for purchase or resale).
geobra will take legal action against any infringement stated above.